Monday, June 12, 2017

Taian 太庵 @ Nagahoribashi, Osaka


Taian is a 3 star Michelin Kaiseki restaurant located in Nagahoribashi, Osaka; it's about a 10 to 15 minutes walk from Dotonbori. I wouldn't say there is anything fancy or very creative about the dishes served in Taian but whatever they serve, as ordinary as it may seem, are of very high quality. Anyway, I came here during December 2016, so I had the winter dinner course. Let's have a look at the pictures:


Assorted platter of crackers with seafood and vegetables pastes
Select one of these for your main course, I picked the Japanese beef grilled with salt
Clear soup with Oyster, Daikon and Mushroom
Fugu Sashimi and Buri Sashimi
Fugu Sashimi presented like a Christimas tree since it was Christmas period

Buri Sashimi
A5 Kuroge Wagyu
A5 Kuroge Wagyu
Fugu Shirako Karaage
Fugu Shirako Karaage
Crab with Mushroom and Seaweed presented in a crab shaped plate
Fugu Dashi Chazuke (Puffer fish soup with rice)



Dessert is a jelly with fruits made with a special pear alcohol
That special pear alcohol used to make the Jelly dessert
Overall, unlike many Kaiseki restaurants that serve about 10 dishes or so, Taian serves about 8 larger that average dishes in total. If you are familiar with Kaiseki, you'd probably find the pictures very ordinary and not very creative which I agree with you. However, as I mentioned earlier, the dishes are of very high quality, especially his Japanese beef, Fugu shirako and his ending rice dish. That being said, does this place deserve its 3 Michelin stars? I can't say for sure since I'm not a professional food critic but I can honestly say it was a bit of a lackluster.

I'm going to play it safe and give this place a 4/5. I would have given it a 3.5 but that Fugu shirako made me think twice. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my meal but the winter menu that I had just didn't live up to the expectation of a 3 star Michelin Kaiseki restaurant. However, price-wise, It's about 16000 Yen per person, which is a very very very good deal given how expensive Kaiseki can be sometimes.

Tabelog website:https://tabelog.com/en/osaka/A2701/A270201/27000578/
Address: 大阪府 大阪市中央区 島之内 1-21-2 山本松ビル1F
Budget (Dinner): 16,000 Yen +
My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment