Saturday, February 22, 2020

Takumi Shingo 匠 進吾 @ Aoyama Ichome, Tokyo (Dec 2019)


This is my third visit to Takumi Shingo and quite frankly, it keeps getting better and better each time! Located at the side of a small building in an estate, this is one of your typical high caliber restaurants in Japan that is randomly located behind someone's house lol. Just like Sukiyabashi Jiro and Sushi Sho Masa, this is a sushi ya which I try to come back to whenever I'm in Tokyo. I simply love the  experience of being served a variety of sushi and tsumami dishes. This is actually a specialty of the Sho related restaurants and though a number of chefs have gone to open their own stores. I've only tried 3 of them so far - Takumi Shingo, Sho Masa, and Sho Saito. For this particular visit to Takumi Shingo, I ate about 34 or so items. Let's have a look at the pictures! (I'm not gonna name all of them though)


Warm yam starter for a cold weather outside
 



Grilled tairagai
Shirako in ponzu
 

Kawahagi (the liver between the fish and rice)
Aged kinmedai



Botan Ebi
 



Hairy Crab steamed rice
 


Damn good Otoro
 










Sho group speciality - Ohagi
 




This dinner cost me around 27000 yen, which is pretty good performance for 34 items wouldn't you say? Not to mention, high quality items. I was the only foreign customer that night and though I didn't get the chance to interact with the other local customers, I enjoyed my sole purpose of coming here - the food. I conversed quite abit with Shingo-san though, he doesn't speak much English so I mainly used my broken Japanese which was surprisingly effective. I was surprised that he remembered me (although I think that was only towards the end when we started talking about Singapore) and even asked if I wanted to book my next reservation here which I politely declined as I don't even know when I'll be back in Tokyo lol.

It's pretty amazing I must say, when I first came here a few years back. I felt there was some discrimination because I didn't receive things that the local customers got, and when I did, the portions were smaller or the cuts were of a lower quality etc. This time however, I felt he treated me like any other Japanese customer, which was really heart warming because it's not often that I receive such treatment in Japan especially when there's a stigma against foreigners. I guess my time learning Japanese have not gone to waste and plus, dressing well is always a bonus because it shows the chef respect yes? Anyway, 5 stars for the food and 5 stars for the very heart warming treatment :)

Tabelog website: https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1306/A130603/13155925/
Address:東京都港区南青山2-2-15 ウィン青山 1F
Budget: 25000+ (Dinner)
My rating: 5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment