Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Kasumitei Matsubara 霞庭 まつばら @ Roppongi, Tokyo (Dec 2019)


Kasumitei Matsubara is a kaiseki restaurant located on the third floor of a small building in the Nishiazabu / Roppongi area. Its claim to fame is the very reasonable and very affordable kaiseki courses that the restaurant serves during lunch. From what I've gathered so far, the 2 most popular lunch courses are the grilled fish course and the wagyu beef course which is what I ordered for my first visit here. My 4400 yen lunch courses consisted of the following:


Jelly with shellfish, daikon & ikura and Soy tofu starters
4 pieces of tempura  including conger eel and eggplant
This may not be a tempura restaurant but I loved the thin and crisp batter used
Miso soup, pickles and minced chicken meat I believe (a sign that the rice is coming)
2 thick cuts of dashi tamago
About 2 and half bowls worth of piping hot steamed rice to be eaten together with the beef or with the other condiments
The wagyu steak main dish
 


Jelly with fruits and mango sorbet dessert with a cup of green tea to end the meal
The head chef

So what'd you think? 4400 yen for all that. Pretty damn good deal eh? Not to mention, the food was pretty impressive too. Apart from the beef dish which was outstanding, I thought the tempura dish deserved an honorable mention too. The best part of all this is that this restaurant is relatively easy to book too! I managed to get a counter seat a few days before my lunch and when I came here, there were only two other customers at the counter (some private rooms were taken though). I was very blessed to be seated right in front of the chef and even had a nice conversation with him. He knew my Japanese wasn't close to fluent and he even took the effort to speak slowly and used easier words for me to understand. At the end of the meal, he walked me to the elevator, shook my hand, wished me a good time for the rest of my Tokyo trip and hoped I would come visit his restaurant again in the near future. Overall, solid meal, great cost performance and I felt very welcomed here.

Website: http://kasumitei-matsubara.com/
Address: 東京都港区西麻布1-7-2 アデッソ西麻布 3F
Budget: 4400+ (lunch), 15000+ (Dinner)
My rating: 4-4.5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment