Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Ginza Koju 銀座 小十 @ Ginza, Tokyo


Firstly, apologies for the poor lighting of the photos; the restaurant itself was rather dim and not very photo friendly due to the lighting conditions. Anyway, Koju is probably one of the most popular Kaiseki restaurants in Tokyo. It is often featured in documentaries like Tsukiji Wonderland and in Michelin Star guides. I can't remember if Koju is 2 or 3 stars but I do remember that I really enjoyed my lunch here.



Uni in cold cream soup, Snow crab with ponzu and jelly, fried crispy ayu fish, prawn "dumpling" in clear soup, Stone fish sashimi, Bonito sashimi
Grilled Isaki fish, Wagyu from Shizuoka, Simmered Abalone and Egg plant, Unagi don, Special Melon from Shizuoka and Coconut ice cream
Given that this a Kaiseki course, in a Michelin Starred restaurant, in Ginza and served by Koju, I think its pretty needless to say what a treat all this was to my mouth. I have never tasted ayu fish with such a crispy texture or a prawn dumpling that melts in your mouth, or such fleshy and meaty unagi before. What really stole the show, believe of not, was the dessert! Yes, the melon and coconut ice cream; to say it can melt in your mouth would be an understatement. I would give this place a 5/5 but somehow I couldn't relate to this as much as Ishikawa or Matayoshi. Don't get me wrong, the food was excellent, but it just didn't have that impact that would make you say this place reserves a 5/5.

Restaurant website: http://www.kojyu.jp/
Address: 東京都 中央区 銀座 5-4-8 カリオカビル 4F
Budget (lunch): 20000Yen+
 My rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment