Friday, May 26, 2017

Sushi Tsu 江戸前鮓 すし通 @ Roppongi, Tokyo

- Great value for lunch if you don't order extra pieces -

I was served by the apprentice (guy in black); the head chef (guy in glasses) served the Japanese customers

Sushi Tsu is a sushi shop in Roppongi that supposedly specializes in aged sushi. The chef's rice is rather different from the conventional style as it is more fluffy and mixed with red vinegar. Many consider this place to be a hidden gem in Roppongi and I have to agree as well. The sushi shop is rather commercialized though; there is a wide sushi counter, a few tables and even a Maître d' that speaks some English. Let's have a look at the pictures

Otoro, Ebi, Shima Aji, Kinmedai, Scallop, Cold chawanmushi with clams and ponzu, (I forgot), Squid

Aji, Chu Toro temaki, Anago, Miso Soup, Uni, Egg, Special added item 1: Botan Ebi, Special added items 2 & 3 are a white fish but marinated differently.
I have to say, for 5940 Yen, you get 11 great pieces of sushi for lunch. Each piece had a special marinade to it which makes the experience somewhat different from other sushi restaurants. I thought my lunch was great and really value for money......until.....

WARNING: 

Until I ordered 2 extra pieces. Now, before I blame the head sushi chef (guy in glasses) for viciously ripping me off, I too am at fault for wrongly assuming that 2 extra pieces would be as cost efficient as the 11 pieces for 5940 Yen course. All I heard was he will serve me 2 extra pieces that was usually served only at night - Botan ebi and a white fish. What surprised me was after I ate the Botan ebi (special item 1) and the white fish (special item 2), he served me the same white fish but in a different marinade (special item 3); that really made me suspicious because I ordered only 2 extra pieces. I immediately stopped the meal by saying I was full.

When the bill came, I was dumbfounded to learn that those 3 extra pieces cost even more than the total 11 pieces of great sushi that I ordered with 5940 Yen. I thought it was ridiculous and I demanded to see the breakdown in price for those 3 pieces (which of course was supposed to be taboo but I felt ripped off so I wanted to see it).  So it turned out that the botan ebi cost 3000Yen and that white fish prepared 2 different ways cost 2000Yen each.

Moral of the story, order the 11 piece sushi lunch course for 5940yen and DON'T ORDER ANY EXTRA PIECES. Although I felt cheated, ripped off and taken for a ride, I didn't want to argue simply because I'm a foreigner and I should never argue in a language that I can't win in. I paid for the meal which more than doubled the price because of my foolish decision to order 3 extra pieces. I still think the chef ripped me off big time, but what the heck there's nothing I can do about it. In all fairness, if I based my review on just 11 pieces of sushi, then I would say it was a great meal.

Tabelog website: https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1307/A130701/13061640
Address: 3-1-15 Nishiazabu Minato Tokyo
Budget (lunch): 5940Yen +
My rating: 4/5 (based on the 11 pieces of sushi for 5940Yen only)

No comments:

Post a Comment