Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Sushi Kenji @ Cuppage Plaza, Singapore (Aug 2020) [ CLOSED]

 

Sushi Kenji is one of those "hidden gems" that skyrocketed in popularity and now even has a loyal following of fans. If I'm not mistaken, Chef Kenji-san has spent a number of years in Singapore, most notably serving in Sushi Hashida and Sushi Jiro before setting up his own shop. When I read that he's located on level 6 of Cuppage Plaza, my initial reaction had me going "what? who sets up a restaurant on the top floor of Cuppage Plaza, who even goes all the way up there?" Well there you go, he does! Anyway, he has two course menus - $88 for a nigiri only and $128 for sashimi, nigiri and 2 more side dishes. There is also an ala carte menu but at the moment, this is just for adding on additional pieces to the course menus. Since it was already so difficult for me to get a reservation here, I decided to just go all out with the $128 course. Shall we have a look at the photos?



 




Mushroom, Vegetable starter

Chawanmushi

Matsumae zuke

5 Kinds of Sashimi - Tai, Shima Aji, Ama Ebi, Hotate, ChuuToro

Tsubu gai

Ebi

Ika

Saba

Hokki gai

Akami zuke

Chuutoro

Anago

Uni Ikura Don


Miso Soup

Kanpyo Maki

Matcha Ice Cream

So as you can see, $128 for 16 items. Gotta say it's pretty damn worth it. No wonder this shop is getting so popular, it's pretty damn hard to find deals like these in expensive Singapore ain't it? Having said all this, I could've done away with the sashimi because quite frankly, I'm not that big a fan of sashimi especially since I'm in a sushi restaurant; I should be eating sushi. In fact what I would probably do next time is I would order the $88 nigiri sushi course but add on additional pieces. With reservations being a good 3 months in advance though, I don't know when my next visit will be....

Anyway, I have one criticism or feedback depending on how you see it. I thought the flavour of his shari was a little on the weak side; I would've preferred it stronger. I also thought this nigiri size could've been a tad bit bigger, but again this is just preference and even in Japan there are a lot more places that serve small size nigiri instead of the bigger ones that you'll find in places like Sukiyabashi Jiro and Shimbashi Tsuruhachi. Overall, I enjoyed my meal here. The quality of the food was good (obviously you can't expect $300 type of quality), Chef Kenji-san is very friendly and if you make the effort to connect with him, he will converse with you. Gochisousama deshita!

Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Sushi-Restaurant/Sushi-kenji-102835108013035/
Address: Cuppage Plaza #06-03
Budget: S$100 - 145+
My rating: 3.5 - 4 / 5


No comments:

Post a Comment