Saturday, July 28, 2018

Tanakada 田中田西麻布 @ Nishiazabu, Tokyo



This has got to be one of the scariest Izakaya places I've ever been to. Tanakada in Fukuoka is known to serve very good quality food but with NO PRICES stated on the menu. Tabelog estimates that people spend between 10k to 15k Yen in Fukuoka. In the Tokyo branch however, the budget is recommended to be above 15K Yen and of course I will say it again, there are NO PRICES stated on the menu. I can't believe my parents and I conjured up enough courage to try this place in Tokyo (actually it was mainly my idea...) knowing full well that we can easily blow this budget because of the abnormal amounts of food we can consume compared to average person. And unfortunately, that's exactly what we did....anyway here are some pictures of our meal:



We each had a starter of a small negi toro sushi which was really tasty
This has got to be one of the best horse meat sashimi I have ever tasted!
2 types of Whale bacon. This was delicious, however I might give it a miss next time because I prefer whale meat itself and not so much the bacon
A plump and juicy oyster - no after taste whatsoever.
Surprisingly good egg plant which melted in my mouth
I have to say the size of the shrimp alone is commendable
Salt grilled chicken thigh
Salt grilled chicken gizzards
Snow Crab - very very good but this will definitely inflate your bill!
The famous Tanakada don - this indeed was the best don I have ever eaten but we all knew this would inflate our bill!
Just look at that colour, the beef was cooked to perfection!
Chicken nanban - always a great Izakaya dish
Best garlic bread I have ever eaten! We ordered 2 or 3 plates of this!
If I am not mistaken we ordered about 15or 16 dishes altogether. I didn't take pictures of all of it because I was quite engrossed in the meal. The bill for the 3 of us came up to be slightly over 70,000 Yen! That is about 20,000 Yen per person before tax and service charge! That kind of money alone could have been used for Michelin Starred restaurants like Sukiyabashi Jiro and Ishikawa Kaiseki ! Sigh....I knew it was going to be expensive but I didn't think it would cross the 70k Yen mark. So yes lesson learnt, DO NOT ORDER THE "PREMIUM ITEMS" I think we could've done away with the Whale Bacon, Tanakada Don and the Snow Crab, because even though the Don and Snow crab were bloody fantastic, I cannot imagine how much they could jack up the price for especially these 3 items. All in all, taste-wise everything was high quality and superb in their on way. Compliments to the chef for the garlic bread and the horse meat sashimi; those 2 dishes stole the show.

I would recommend Tanakada to others but I would definitely give them a warning and advice them to take the Tanakada course which is the only item with a price on the menu; I believe it was around 14,000 Yen but they don't tell you what you'll get. So to end off, yeah this is the scariest restaurant that I've ever been to, and as expected, we blew our budget but were shocked that we went overboard by so much. Despite all this, I would come back here again but I'll either order the Tanakada course next time or the usual ala carte but just forgo certain dishes like the snow crab. Based on taste alone, I would give this place a 4.5 out of 5 but an overall 4.

Website: http://tanakada.net/tanakada/food_nishiazabu.php
Address: 東京都 港区 西麻布 3-2-34 西麻布ヒルズ B1F
Budget (Dinner): 15000+
My rating: 4 /5

No comments:

Post a Comment