Friday, November 23, 2018

Ushidoki Wagyu Kaiseki @ Tras Street, Singapore


Believe it or not, I've been to Japan for food adventures more than 15 times and I've never once even come across the term "beef kaiseki". This was truly an eye opening experience for me, not in terms of the giant hole in my wallet after that, but I've never had a multi beef course before. I was excited and thrilled especially after reading up that Ushidoki Wagyu Kaiseki was one of Singapore's top restaurants. Thank God, I was not disappointed with my meal here and was in fact very satisfied at the end of it. Anyway, I ordered the $200 menu which consisted of 9 courses:




Dish 1
Dish 2 - for 2 people to share

Dish 2 - Part 1/3 - sea urchin with jelly and egg

Dish 2 - Part 2/3 - oyster wrapped in beef

Dish 2 - Part 3/3 - forgot the exact name but regardless, it was delicious

 
Dish 3
After eating this dish, the waitress with come with a small rice ball which you use to soak up all the remaining sauce
 
Dish 4 - more of a palate cleanser
Dish 5 - melt in your mouth short ribs

Dish 6 - mini beef chirashi sushi - this was the only dish which I was a little disappointed in because I expected it to be a nigiri sushi
Dish 7

Love that marbling
Dish 8 - this washed away all the oil in my mouth

Fantastic ending dish before dessert

Dish 9
In general, everything was fantastic. The last three dishes were especially good given that the grilled beef was very well charred and yet retained that juicy and succulent texture. This was followed by a very refreshing beef tail jelly somen which cleansed my mouth and finally ending with a milky dessert. The other dishes were great too however, I must express my slight disappointment with the sushi dish because I expected a nice piece of nigiri sushi but what I got was these beef bits in a tiny bowl which was labelled as chirashi sushi. It was still tasty it really fell short of my expectations. Apart from this "blunder", I thought it was a very good meal overall and indeed worthy of being one of Singapore's top restaurants; I really enjoyed my dinner here.

Of course, for around $240 (after adding in the drink, GST and service charge), this is not cheap and quite frankly I wouldn't consider this to be a good deal. But hey this is Singapore, things here are expensive and compared to many other restaurants that charge ridiculously high prices, I suppose the prices here are already considered "not too bad".

Website:https://www.ushidoki.com/
Address: 57 Tras St, Singapore 078996
Budget (Dinner): $200+
My rating: 4.5 /5 

No comments:

Post a Comment