Sunday, January 13, 2019

Naniwa Kappo Kigawa 浪速割烹 喜川 @ Nipponbashi, Osaka


Kappo Kigawa is an old and very established Kappo restaurant located in a small alley in Nipponbashi. It is foreigner friendly and extremely popular (especially among tourists) for their lunch courses which are moderately priced at 5000, 8000 and 12000 yen. Dinner starts at 15000 yen and can go up to 30000 yen which I feel is a little on the ridiculous side since Kappo is supposed to be like a sister version of Kaiseki (i.e. supposedly cheaper too). Anyway, this is my first visit here and my parents and I decided to order the 12000 yen course since we intended to come here only once.

Our 8 item course consisted of the following items:



Cold starter consisting of seasonal vegetables, crab and mustard seeds.

The famous sashimi platter. What you see is bonito, octopus, conger eel, spanish mackerel, whelk clam, and squid. Different condiments are used for each item, for instance - octopus with basil sauce, whelk clam with sesame oil, bonito with leek paste etc
Snapper with shiitake mushroom, gluten tofu served in clear soup
Grilled grouper served in some kind of spinach sauce

Yam wrapped in fried seaweed served with daikon
Wagyu beef with leek paste
Rice served in thick sauce with fried gluten and plum paste
Roasted green tea ice cream served with earl grey jelly and green tea biscuit
Ending green tea with plum candy
So what do you think? 12000 yen for these 8 items plus the ending green tea and candy? If you're thinking along the lines of "hmmm, that's all?" Well, I don't blame you, I myself wasn't full after the meal and considering the portion of the items and the ingredients I didn't really feel that the 12000 yen was well spent. Out of the 8 items, I'd say that the sashimi platter, the grilled grouper and the dessert were fantastic. The wagyu beef and clear soup were delicious to say the least, but nothing much to brag about at the end of the day. The ending rice in thick soup dish was rather underwhelming though...hmm

On a side note, during my visit, they had a waitress who spoke very good English and explained every dish in detail ( I obviously wasn't taking down notes as you can tell from my descriptions on the pictures). The owner also greeted all of us - both local and foreigners - and informed us that he appreciated our visit to his restaurant. Thumbs up and absolute respect for that I must say!

Anyway, while my dad really enjoyed the meal and said he would come back here, my mum and I were a little on the hesitant side; we both thought the biggest flaw of the meal was really the cost performance. However, despite this, rest assured you will be guaranteed at the very least a decent meal here and an authentic Kappo experience. I shall stop here.

Website: https://tabelog.com/en/osaka/A2701/A270202/27001248/
Addres: 1-7-7 Dotonbori Chuo-ku Osaka Osaka
Budget (Lunch / Dinner): 5000, 8000, 12000 yen / 15000, 20000, 25000+ yen
My rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment