Sunday, April 12, 2020

Haramasa はらまさ @ Yotsuya Sanchome, Tokyo (Dec 2019)


My first visit to Haramasa back in 2018 left a very good impression. I was very impressed with the creativity of many of the dishes and looked forward to my second visit here. This kaiseki restaurant is known to be one of the more modern and creative ones, relaying heavily on stronger tasting ingredients like truffles, shirako and spices to make their dishes more impactful. I had the privilege of sitting at the counter seat this time and was able to witness Chef Hara making some of his claim to fame dishes like his truffle infused rice among others. I actually think meal was better than my first time here because the dishes I hoped to eat again were actually served again and there were some new ones that left a lasting impression. Lets have a look at the photos:

Grilled Crab with Caviar
Deep Fried Fugu (this was actually my least favourite out of everything I ate)
DIY maki with monkfish liver paste
With Grouper

With Otoro
Thick soup with a paste made from oyster and soft shell turtle
Young fatty yellow fish sukiyaki
 

Somen mixed with Shanghai crab, crab miso, shirako and then topped with white truffles!
 

Charcoal fired wild unagi
 


Truffle infused rice with scrambled egg and shirako then topped with black truffles
 


Truffle infused rice with wagyu beef sukiyaki, sea urchin, egg yolk and then topped with truffles!
 

Plain truffle infused rice
Dessert!
My dinner here is the 20,000 yen course menu and it was one hell of a meal I'd say! There's absolutely no way I can get meals like these in Singapore so I really savoured every dish here. It was crab season this time round which explains why there were 2 crab-related dishes, which were both excellent tasting in my opinion. Once again, the somen dish stole the show! That combination of crab meat, crab miso and shirako was out of this world and I savoured every morsel of it. Another dish which really caught me off guard was the charcoal grilled unagi. I was actually intending to patronize an unagi restaurant this trip but after tasting this particular unagi dish, I was very satisfied and convinced that I didn't need to eat at an unagi restaurant. Amazing texture and it was grilled to perfection - crisp on the outside yet soft and tender on the inside.

The rest of the dishes were great as expected of a kaiseki restaurant of such high caliber. Even the deep fried fugu, which was my least favourite dish, was pretty good but paled in comparison to the flavour of the rest of the dishes. Anyway, I had a lovely time eating here and hope to come back in the near future!

Tabelog website: https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1309/A130903/13151542/
Address: 4 Chome-8 Yotsuya Shinjuku-ku Tokyo-to
Budget (Dinner): 15000+ or 20000+ yen
My rating: 4.5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment